The National Park of Abruzzo, Lazio and Molise was inaugurated in Pescasseroli (AQ) on 9 September 1922, while the Park Authority was established November 25, 1921 with temporary director. The first unit was set up protected by the town of Opi in Val Fondillo Camosciara and October 2, 1921 and was assigned to the association Pro montibus et Sylvis until 17 January 1923 when he won the entity management. On 25 March 1923 Royal Decree is hereby established the Commission administrators of the park.  It is understood the majority (3 / 4 approximately) in the province of Aquila in Abruzzo and the rest in one of Frosinone in Lazio and in that of Isernia in Molise. The administrative district of the park is in Pescasseroli.
The Abruzzo National Park (with Law No. 93 of March 23, 2001 National Park of Abruzzo, Lazio and Molise, a name which does not involve administrative changes) after the Gran Paradiso National Park is the oldest park in Italy known all over Italy for its role in the preservation of some of the most important fauna species like wolf, brown Marsican bear and Abruzzo Chamois: moreover the park has also taken the first and several initiatives for modernization and localized spread of environmentalism.
It is covered with beech woods for about two thirds of its surface. It spreads mainly in mountain and pastoral areas, where the cultivation of vines and olive is not feasible, trespassing in the plane of the crops in the Giovenco Valley and Val di Comino.